Wednesday, September 15, 2010

MTV Korea and Seoul Tower

On Tuesday, I took the Seoul Metro all by myself and headed to MTV Korea!  My supervisor/mentor from VH1 this past summer helped me connect with the people in MTV Korea so that I could visit and see what an international office is like.  I went after my 11am class and got to the office by 12:10. 

I met people from the programming team: Yuna Choi and Yang Min So.  They took me out to eat Korean BBQ with pork and duck!  It was so yummy!  I was a bit nervous because I know that Koreans have a lot of Confucianism values and formality is so important to them.  I was nervous because I didn't know if I was speaking to them like they are my equal...I made sure to bow a lot and to speak as formal as I can in Korean.  Luckily they said it's ok, I can talk to them like friends because we are all around the same age (20s). 

They are such nice girls and the food was delicious!  We finished everything!


We went back to the office and they gave me a tour.  MTV Korea consists of MTV and Nick.  I really like the floor decorations...it reminded me of MTV Networks in Times Square...each floor is unique.  I got to meet people from Programming and On-Air Promotional department.  Unlike VH1, there is only 1 person in charge of scheduling the promotions.  I wanted to speak to her but because of the langauge barrier, I didn't get to know what she does and see how it differs from New York.  However, I foudn out that they use a diferent program...not PTS or Gabriel. 

The building!

Me :)
MTV is everywhere!!
Oh it's so funny.  Dora the Explorer is dubbed into Korean and instead of teaching Spanish, Dora teaches English!  It's a big hit among mothers here in Korea.

the office - the cubicles here are a lot smaller than the ones in NY
I Love their kitchenette!

I submitted my resume to the manager and she said she will forward it to HR.  I would love to do an intenrship at MTV Korea while I'm here.  I think it will be an amazing experiecne.

-------
Today (Wednesday) I went to the Seoul Tower with my PEACE buddy and other international students.  Here's an important piece of advice: If you are single...DO NOT GO TO THE SEOUL TOWER!  It is so depressing!  Seoul is couple land and Seoul Tower is a constant reminder that you are single.  There is a place where couples will go and put a lock on it.  Then they throw away the key which means that there love will last forever...like the lock that will remain locked on the chain.  It's unbelievably cute but depressing as hell!

so many locks!!
They even have X-Mas trees with locks on them!!

One day...I will find an oppa and bring it up here!

Then we went up to the Seoul Tower.  Unfortuantely we missed watching the sunset but it was nice to see a night view of Seoul. 


Around the tower, each section is designated to a city/place around the world.  I gotta represent NY!!

Again, it is very depressing because instead of locks, they have tiles on the walls that couples can decorate...ugh!

look at the tiles!!
They are so cute!

Overall, it was a nice day..just a bit depressing!

5 comments:

  1. Whoa! That is so neat!!!! What is neat? Everything! The MTV around the world thing and all the things couples can do while in Seoul.

    Girrrrl...you best be happy you are single. You aren't locked, chained, tiled or otherwise to no one, so you can travel the world and find any oppa you want!!!!!!!!!!!

    Question: So do you speak Korea already! Jeez that's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Korean. And PS I misssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very very cool. Hey, I know what I want...I want stamps, cool stamps from Korea, HK, and wherever else you go. I'm thinking of visiting you in Korea during Thanksgiving...

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG.....THAT IS so cute...seoul tower. haha I LIKE HOW you put it, if u single. donot go there lol...:) MIT cool..wow! seems you have fun..

    <3

    Sehrish Khan Saddozai

    ReplyDelete