Wednesday, September 29, 2010

1 month anniversary

Wow I've been in Korea for a month now.  I remember just a month ago, I did not want to leave New York and I was so scared.  Now, I'm 80% sure that I want to come back to Korea and teach English for a year or two.  I really want to master the Korean language.  I can read now but I don't know what I'm reading.  Korean is phonetic language so it's easy to learn the alphabet but the writing structure is different.  There's conjugations and an ending for every noun and verb!  Not only that but we have to pay attention to our formanlities depending on who we talk to.  It's definitely hard but I really like to learning Korean and hopefully I'll be able to do it!

One of the best things about being an international student here is meeting other international students (IS).  My friend Edmund, who studied abroad in China for a year, told me that I should try to not meet other Americans.  He said I can meet other Americans in America so I should meet other people.  My roommate is Japanese and I've met a lot of her Japanese friends.  I also just went on a one week long vacation with another American, a German and a Dutch.  I'm always meeting more and more people from other countries.  I think this is definitely the beauty of studying abroad.

While meeting other international students is an amazing thing, I am also able to meet and become friends with other Koreans.  Not only do I have PEACE buddies to talk to but I've been making friends with Ewha students in my class.  I'm taking 4 classes here but 3 out of the 4 have more IS than Koreans.  Luckily, in my public speaking there are only 3 foreigners out of the 28 students in the class.  My classmates are very nice and offered to help me with my Korean :) In fact, I'm going out to eat dinner with some of them tomorrow!

Oh also, I'm being involved with Ewha.  I got into the Ewha's Global Campus Leader program which means I get to represent Ewha as a foreigner and learn more about Ewha.  I'm also teaching first graders English every Friday for an hour at the community center in my school.  I met them yesterday and they were so cute and eager to speak to me!  I'm so excited to get to know them!

I will upload pictures of my school and my dorm soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment